Andhra Pradesh Minister for Panchayath Raj and Rural Development, Nara Lokesh, conducted a review meeting with UC Berkeley Team. Lokesh has been working closely with UC Berkeley team on AP Smart Villages program. Garwood Center for Corporate Innovation at UC Berkeley has developed a process to prototype a smart village in collaboration with Andhra Pradesh Government. Lokesh, has reviewed the project status of 5 assembly constituencies in 5 districts that includes 469 Villages. These projects include, status on Village Digital Malls, mapping using Drones etc.
The open innovation methods employed in research will be further perfected over the next several months through further engagement with all stake holders to develop a scalable prototype that could be employed as a model for 650,000 Indian villages and beyond. The use case, currently in process will be published as a business case for academic and industrial consumption in December 2016.
WHAT IS A SMART VILLAGE?
1. An Ecosystem: – The village that leverages its resources as well as those of surrounding villages, distant places and entities to generate revenue and lower its costs and risk.
2. An Economic Development Platform: – The village that allows many external businesses to access its resources to profit from them – win-win
3. A Brand: – The village creates an identity and be known for something of value that is unique – grassroots.
4. A Community – Self-organized network of people who collaborate by sharing ideas, information and resources to build a strong ecosystem – when all else fails the community remains to rebuild itself.
5. A Business Model – A village that creates value for its people and others outside its ecosystem by utilizes lean and cost effective state of the art technologies and capture some of that value for itself.
6. A Sustainable Unit: – The village that generates triple bottom line: a) people b) profit and c) planet
Conducted a review meeting with UC Berkeley Team regarding AP Smart Villages program. Reviewed the project status of 5 assembly constituencies in 5 districts that includes 469 Villages. These projects include, status on Village Digital Malls, mapping using Drones etc. pic.twitter.com/b4se1wHsSE
— Lokesh Nara (@naralokesh) January 17, 2018